Many of us develop bad habits over time when it comes to what we do when we first wake up in the mornings and what we choose to do has a massive impact on how we feel for the rest of the day. For a long, long time, I never classed myself as a morning person and to be honest, I still don't , but I am definitely getting better at it and practising certain rituals have helped me a lot in feeling motivated, awake and refreshed in the mornings.
Here are some quick tips on healthier behaviours we can all adapt to, to kick start our mornings and feel much more energised.
1. Don't pick up your phone - As much as this is the first thing to do instinctively, try not to reach for your phone. Instead, get up, open the curtains and embrace the daylight.
2. Take deep breaths - Being in tune with your breathing is such a great way to boost your energy levels as well as soothing your mood for the day. Take large breaths in and gently let them out, do this five times and I promise you, it will do wonders.
3. Stretch - As simple as it sounds, stretching can help to wake up those muscles after a long night's sleep and to get the blood moving as well as relieving tension.
4. Hydrate yourself - Going without water for a couple of hours is draining for the majority of us, so imagine not having any for a good five/six hours. Having a large glass of water every morning not only flushes out toxins, it also helps to kick start your metabolism for the day ahead.
5. Plan your day - Setting out a to-do-list daily not only helps you keep track of your day, but also gives you a sense of achievement at the end. I set myself five goals a day (big and small) and try my best to complete them to my best ability.